Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Emotional Fuel

 1.) In two paragraphs (4-6 sentences in each paragraph), discuss a time when someone or a group of individuals fueled you emotionally. Was it one person or a group of people? When did this take place? What did they say or do to fuel you? Did they create a shared vision with you? Utilize your "ME" diagram and your class notes to guide your response. 

There’s been a lot of times that I have felt emotionally fueled by someone or a group of individuals. One instance was the situation that made me decide Special Education would be a really successful career path for me. I participated in a peer mentor class with the Special Needs students at my school and they changed my perspective on how I viewed those who were different than myself. This was my sophomore year of high school, so being an active participant in this class changed not only my future but also my present-mindset. They all just wanted to have fun, and after experiencing the loss of one of their peers, it was like their shared vision also included making sure they had positivity in their day so if something were to happen, nothing would feel wasted. 

Another time where I felt emotionally fueled was when I participated in theatre in high school. Although I found the people I was around to be very toxic at times (so this isn't my best example), they were also some of the most supportive people I was around throughout high school. At your lowest points, they surrounded you and rallied behind you. The shared vision was to create the typical 'theatre family' and to make our show the best it could be. This experience truly fueled me to stay motivated with what I was doing and kept me emotionally involved in our shows and other activities.

2.) Why do you think we need accountability and support in our lives as leaders?

If we don’t hold ourselves accountable, we aren’t being true to ourselves nor to those who may be trying to follow us. When you don’t hold yourself accountable, people aren’t going to want to support you. Without support, the program you are trying to start may lack in members which won’t get a lot off the ground and happening. Support and accountability are very important to have in a leader’s life. 

3.) A frequently quoted proverb says, As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. List ways one person can sharpen another person in a relationship.

Providing constructive criticism could sharpen another person in a relationship, but you have to be careful that this doesn’t come off as just criticism. Also, noting the good things and not *just* the bad things is important as well. If you’re constantly picking out JUST the negative things in others you’re not sharpening them, you’re probably putting them down. 

4.) How does using symbolic language/images and being unique provide emotional fuel to others?

When you are being unique, you are proving to others that you don’t need to be apart of a big group where everyone is doing the same thing all the time to be a leader and to have your own set of values. By using symbolic language or images, you are (hopefully) leaving a mark and providing something for others to look onto - sharing your values. 

5.) What are the weak spots where you need the counsel of others in your life? Are there areas where you feel you have an empty tank?

In general, I feel like everyone at some point is going to need the counsel of others in their life. Personally, I feel like when I start something new or when I revisit something that maybe didn’t end so well last time I tried it, I’d want people around me to help guide me or offer some constructive criticism. I feel like I might have an empty tank when it comes to sharing how I feel towards others - whether it’s about their work, my work, our work as a whole, or just something personal. 

 

 


4 comments:

  1. Hey Tara Ann, I enjoyed reading your responses. I specifically liked when you said "If we don’t hold ourselves accountable, we aren’t being true to ourselves nor to those who may be trying to follow us. When you don’t hold yourself accountable, people aren’t going to want to support you". That a really good point that relates back to me and Savannah's presentation of clarifying and affirming your values as they both spark commitment. I also, liked when you said " by using symbolic language or images, you are (hopefully) leaving a mark and providing something for others to look onto - sharing your values". That is a very true statement leaving a mark/making an impact is the best thing you can as a leader. Overall, again I liked your responses. Good Job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara Ann, I enjoyed reading about the time you were in a peer mentor class with special needs children. I like how you were emotionally fueled and you were able to fuel the children emotionally as well. I also like how you emphasize the importance of constructive criticism. As leaders, this is very important that we hold each other accountable and be willing to address the good and the bad. Who in your life do you go to for counsel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using uniqueness to help others is a strong leadership tool. It is okay to be unique and still hold your own as a leader. You've also mentioned very important, constructive criticism should be used as helpful strategy, not a harmful one. Great post!

    - Calvin J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you said, "if we don’t hold ourselves accountable, we aren’t being true to ourselves nor to those who may be trying to follow us." I think you are absolutely correct. Being accountable is not only neseccary in order to stay true to yourself and the goals you set, but it is able improtant because other people are depending on you to be honest and follow through with your words and actions. You can hurt yourself by not being accountable, but you are also hurting the people who are trying to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete

Blog post #5 -

  1.) In your opinion, why is personal growth and wellness a key characteristic to good leadership? Personal growth and wellness are key par...